I have never been able to pick which I like more on my hot chocolate: marshmallows or whipped cream. Usually I end up using both because I like to live my life on the edge. The sweet edge of life — how is that for a saying?
Well, the good news is that I no longer have to pick between (or use) marshmallows and whipped cream. I have a new and totally amazing favorite. This drink is a dessert in disguise. Sweet homemade peppermint ice cream topped with warm hot chocolate. I know it sounds weird, but it’s totally amazing. The ice cream melts and creates the perfect winter spin on a classic float.
Peppermint ice cream float with homemade hot chocolate recipe
This sweet winter drink combines creamy peppermint ice cream and warm hot chocolate. It’s creamy, dreamy and totally delicious.
Yields 1 (about 2 quarts ice cream)
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 4 hours 15 minutes | Total time: 4 hours 55 minutes
For the ice cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes
For the hot chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 scoops peppermint ice cream
- 1-2 cups hot chocolate
- To a large bowl, add the whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Whisk together until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- After the ice cream is done processing, stir in crushed candy canes.
- Add to a freezer-safe container, and let harden for at least 4 hours.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once hot, remove the milk from the heat, and stir in the chocolate, sugar and vanilla extract. Let cool slightly.
- Add ice cream to a large mug.
- Top with hot chocolate, and drink/eat right away.