One-Pot Wonder: Skillet cider-Dijon chicken and vegetables
Using a combination of fresh and frozen vegetables makes this comforting chicken dinner idea a snap.
Of course, if desired, you can certainly use all fresh ingredients, but I chose to use up what I had on hand to create this yummy cider-infused skillet dinner (plus it makes putting dinner together a breeze).
This gluten-free meal is filling, and the sauce creates a really nice flavor alongside the veggies and chicken. I opted to serve this fall meal with steamed brown rice that I prepared in my rice cooker. And while these particular vegetables paired really well with the flavors of the sauce, you can definitely get creative here and use up basically any vegetables you might have.
Skillet cider-Dijon chicken and vegetables recipe
Organic chicken breasts are diced and combined with a mixture of fresh broccoli, frozen carrots and peas, and then roasted in a sweet and tangy cider-mustard sauce. Serve over brown rice for a hearty meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 organic chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen carrots and peas (do not have to be thawed)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (can be canned, fresh or frozen; if frozen, you don't have to thaw)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 2 cups steamed brown rice, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium-size cast-iron skillet, arrange the diced chicken and vegetables.
- Drizzle the mustard, apple cider, vinegar and maple syrup evenly over the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and the chicken is completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven, and spoon over steamed brown rice, if desired.