As much as I love chicken and potato casseroles, I must admit that sometimes they can be a little boring.
But they are familiar and perfect for family dinners. With this recipe, something kicked in — interesting flavors play a delicious role in making the casserole even better than usual. What would you think of Parmesan cheese, toasted bacon and béchamel sauce poured on the chicken? You guessed right. It’s outstanding!
Chicken, bacon and potato casserole recipe
A chicken and potato casserole is always a dependably good family dinner. With this casserole, I added some Parmesan cheese, bacon and béchamel sauce to give it a total makeover from the usual to something special.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 5 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces boneless chicken, sliced to bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup béchamel sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Over high heat, bring a pot of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl, and then mash them. Add the Parmesan cheese, butter and egg. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a dry saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon, then transfer it to a bowl, and set it aside. Discard the excess fat.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, pour some olive oil. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes, and then add the chicken and the peas. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a greased baking dish, place the chicken with peas and bacon.
- Pour the béchamel sauce on top.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.