Pomegranate-passion fruit margaritas are the perfect cocktail for fall
I love a good cocktail, and I love creating drinks based on what's in season. As much as I love a traditional lime-based margarita, I wanted to up my drinking game and discovered that pomegranates make awesome cocktails.
While these would be outstanding with just pomegranate juice, I also incorporated passion fruit juice for an extra punch of flavor. I also found that adding a wedge of fresh lime to the drink brings out the flavors in the fruits and cuts the sweetness ever so slightly. Depending on whether you like sweet or salty, you can rim the glass with either raw sugar or margarita salt. Or heck, why not both?
Pomegranate-passion fruit margarita recipe
The juices of pomegranate and passion fruit are blended with tequila and a fresh wedge of lime for this sensational variation of a margarita.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 cups pomegranate juice (I used POM pomegranate juice)
- 2 cups passion fruit juice (you can find frozen versions in the freezer section)
- 1/2 cup frozen limeade concentrate
- 12 ounces premium tequila
- 1/4 cup raw sugar or coarse salt, for rimming the glasses
- Ice, for serving
- Fresh lime wedges, for garnish
- In a pitcher, combine the pomegranate juice, passion fruit juice, limeade and tequila.
- Mix well, and chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Fill a bowl slightly with water, and pour the raw sugar or coarse salt into the center of a small plate.
- Dip the rim of each glass into the bowl of water and then into the sugar or salt to coat.
- Fill each glass with ice, and pour the margarita over top.
- Garnish with fresh lime wedges, and serve immediately.