Cheesy corn casserole is creamy Thanksgiving side dish perfection
For the most part, I try to eat healthy. It's a pretty consistent 80-20 balance when it comes to my plate, but sometimes I just want all-out comfort food. Like cheesy, buttery, creamy, "I don't care how many calories are in this (and please don't tell me)" kind of food.
Well, good news. This is that kind of recipe.
It's the "put on your sweatpants, snuggle up on the couch with a blanket and break out a glass of wine" kind of comfort food, and it couldn't be simpler to make. Because that 20 percent exists for a reason.
Roasted garlic cheesy corn casserole recipe
This is a super-creamy and cheesy casserole filled with sweet corn kernels for the ultimate comfort food side dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 55 minutes | Inactive time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in aluminum foil, and place them in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, until soft.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Into a medium saucepan or high-edged skillet over medium heat, place the butter and roasted garlic (squeezed from the paper shell).
- Once the butter has melted and is bubbly, add the flour, whisk, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the milk, and whisk until smooth. Let simmer until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the corn kernels.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, and place it in the oven for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Turn the oven to broil, and bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley.