A good, hearty soup should take a lot of time and effort to make, right? Wrong. This soup is overflowing with tasty veggies (and lentils), but it’s actually simple to make. You’ll love the rich flavors too.
I’m not positive, but I think the roasted carrots are my favorite part of this Meatless Monday vegetable soup recipe. Roasting the carrots makes them all caramelized and sweet and, well… full of big flavor.
I added lentils and mushrooms for heartiness, fresh thyme, and at the last minute, I tossed in Swiss chard leaves (the stems get chopped and tossed in early in the process). This soup has all the bases covered: It’s filling, healthy and full of flavor. Serve with crusty bread and a little grated Parmesan on top.
Chunky vegetable soup with roasted carrots, Swiss chard and lentils recipe
This soup makes a warming meal, and it’s full of healthy veggies. Lentils are what add substance to this soup that is easy to prepare. Use canned lentils to help save time.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 55 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups packed Swiss chard leaves, stems removed, diced and reserved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup roasted carrots, diced (about 4 medium-size carrots)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used canned)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the carrots, and cut off the ends. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oven is ready, roast for 25 minutes, turning a few times as they cook.
- Remove the carrots from the oven, allow them to cool to the touch, and then cut them into small rounds.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a Dutch oven or pot. When the oil is hot, add the onions, and cook for about 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the Swiss chard stems, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to release their juices.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, salt, ground black pepper and carrots. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the thyme leaves, and reduce the heat to a low simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the mixture, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Swiss chard leaves (torn into pieces) to the mixture, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
Serve a bowl of this warming, filling soup on a cold night.