Slow Cooker Sunday: Hard cider bacon macaroni and cheese
Nothing screams comfort food like a piping-hot bowl of macaroni and cheese. Thick, creamy and cheesy, this dish has seriously become a favorite in my house, especially in the cooler months. Rather than making a traditional mac and cheese (which I do love), I added tasty ingredients to this version, like all-natural, nitrate-free bacon and hard apple cider for a cool, crisp flavor.
What makes this recipe even better is that it’s cooked in the slow cooker, so you can literally throw in the ingredients, set it and forget all about it until dinnertime.
Slow cooker hard cider white cheddar bacon mac and cheese recipe
Need something warm and filling on a cold night? This mac and cheese not only has bacon but a generous amount of hard cider, putting an autumn spin on this classic comfort food idea.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- 12 ounces dry macaroni or small shaped pasta
- 4 ounces uncooked all-natural, nitrate-free bacon, diced
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle hard apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Extra cooked bacon, for garnish (optional)
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the pasta and bacon.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated white cheddar, evaporated milk, whipping cream, hard cider and nutmeg. Mix well, and pour the mixture over the pasta.
- Cover with the lid, and cook on low for 6 hours, mixing occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired, and spoon into serving bowls.
- Garnish with extra bacon and fresh parsley if desired.
- Best served warm.