I have a massive sweet tooth, and even though l admit I’m not a huge fan of baking, I do love to do it once in a great while. These cookies are something I bake up for my boys when the mood hits, since they are full of healthy ingredients, but also because they are good for me.
I recently started using almond flour and coconut flour in my baked goods to keep things gluten-free, but they also happen to add wonderful flavors to these cookies. Make sure you follow the directions if using coconut flour. If you aren’t familiar with it, this flour is highly absorbent and can easily wreck your goodies if you don’t use it correctly. And don’t worry about the flours having overpowering flavors — they are mild and lend a really nice background to these healthy cookies.
Nutty vegan hempseed cookie recipe
These delicious, organic, vegan and gluten-free cookies are chock-full of oats, almond butter and almond and coconut flours, and they are sweetened with coconut sugar. They are also full of protein-rich hempseeds and dried cranberries.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 14 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 59 mintues
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water), plus extra for topping
- 1-1/2 cups organic almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts or hempseeds, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4-1/2 cup organic coconut sugar or organic brown sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup organic dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup organic almond butter, warmed
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseeds with the 6 tablespoons of warm water. Mix well, and allow to sit for 10 minutes or until very thick. (This will act as a binder in place of eggs.)
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- To a separate bowl, add all the wet ingredients, and mix very well.
- Fold the soaked flaxseed mixture along with the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Using a medium-size cookie scoop or a tablespoon, spoon the dough onto the baking sheet, and sprinkle the tops with extra hempseeds.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Be careful to not overbake.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, and let them cool for 30 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.