How to infuse your own olive oil at home (VIDEO)
Olive oil has so many uses in the kitchen. Infused olive oil is a way to add unique flavors to the already versatile kitchen essential.
You can spend a lot of dough on the fancy bottles at the store, or you can make your own with this easy how-to. Don't be afraid to add a mix of different ingredients to the recipe and see where the flavors take you.
Here's what you'll need to create your own infused olive oil:
- 1 cup total rosemary and oregano (you can use 1 herb or spice, or mix 2 of them)
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups olive oil
- A bottle with an airtight seal
- A heavy-bottomed, nonreactive saucepan to heat spices
A few things you'll want to note:
- Be sure to use a heavy-bottomed saucepan for this.
- We used a candy thermometer to make sure the oil reached 140 degrees F. You definitely don't want your oil to burn.
- Your oil should smell aromatic. Give your oil a little taste (carefully!) to make sure it tastes strongly of the spices and herbs. If it doesn't, then add more flavorings, and heat again.
- The oil will keep up to 1 month in the refrigerator. Be sure to let it reach room temperature again before using it.