One-Pot Wonder: Rustic maple balsamic brown rice chicken skillet
Fall and winter often make me think of rustic recipes when it comes to mealtime in my house. I love using local in-season ingredients and really enjoy getting creative with things I have on hand. This is one of my go-to recipes because it comes together effortlessly yet tastes as though you really put work into it.
I used organic chicken breast along with cooked brown rice, fresh sweet mini peppers and red onions, and then tossed them in a simple marinade of balsamic, maple and olive oil. Once roasted the flavors caramelize and really add depth to this simplistic dish.
Rustic maple balsamic brown rice chicken skillet recipe
This one-pot dinner is full of hearty fall flavors such as peppers, red onions and maple and is both healthy and gluten free.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Inactive time: 5 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small red onion
- 10 assorted mini sweet peppers (or use 2 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Evenly spread the cooked rice in the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or oven safe pan.
- On a cutting board, slice the 2 chicken breasts in half so that you have 4 pieces total. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice in the skillet and set aside.
- On a clean cutting board, slice the red onion and the mini peppers in half removing the seeds. Top the chicken with onions and the peppers.
- Evenly drizzle the vinegar, oil and maple syrup over the top of the chicken and vegetables and sprinkle with garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake the chicken and vegetables about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are starting to char and the chicken is completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls or dinner plates and garnish with chopped parsley. Best served warm.