Weekday recipes have three requirements in my book: healthy, easy and tasty. Of course I have a few staples, but sometimes I just want to do something new to that plain chicken breast.
Normally crusted and coated chicken take far too much time, way too many bowls, and you’re left with egg and flour everywhere on your counter. This quick and easy pecan-crusted chicken is way simpler. It’s dipped in yogurt instead of a flour-and-egg dredge, and the pecans are pulsed just a few times in a food processor before coating, all of which takes about five minutes of prep time before cooking.
While the chicken cooks, the apple slaw comes together in minutes. Tart green apples, sweet raisins and dried cranberries are the perfect mixture for a refreshing topping on the crunchy chicken.
This one definitely fits the weekday recipe criteria.
Pecan-crusted chicken with green apple slaw recipe
This pecan-crusted chicken is a quick and easy dinner that changes up the boring chicken routine. For an extra-crispy exterior, finish the chicken under the broiler for one to two minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain yogurt, divided
- 3/4 cup pecans
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place it in a bowl with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and turn to coat the chicken.
- Pulse the pecans in a food processor until finely chopped. Place them in a shallow bowl.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the pecans, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, until it is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the apples, raisins and cranberries. Add the remaining tablespoon of yogurt, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top the chicken with the slaw, and serve.