My whole family loved these creepy spider cookies. Boys especially get a kick out of anything with spiders.
These cookies are just a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe that is easy to make. If you prefer, you can use premade cookie dough for an even quicker option. The cookie dough gets rolled into cookie balls, and then you place Whoppers on the tops of the cookies. Placement of the Whoppers is strategic to allow enough room for two or three spiders per cookie, depending on the size. Once the Whoppers are placed, it’s time to bake the cookies.
After the cookies are baked and have completely cooled, it’s time to add those spider legs. Fill a small plastic bag with melted chocolate or frosting, cut off the tip of a corner of the bag, and pipe on some legs. You can also use a frosting bag fitted with a #2 tip. If you choose to use frosting instead of melted chocolate, then the cookies can’t be placed on top of one another, as this would ruin the legs. With the melted chocolate, once it’s hardened, you are good to go.
I hope you enjoy these spooky spider cookies as much as my family did.
Creepy spider chocolate chip cookies recipe
These cookies are so easy to make and are a fun Halloween treat. You can choose to use a premade cookie dough or make your own from scratch with the recipe provided. The spiders are simply Whoppers with piped-on chocolate legs.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 10-12 minutes I Total time: 30-32 minutes
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 36 Whoppers
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and creamy.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks into the sugar and butter mixture, and place the egg whites into another bowl.
- Add the cream of tartar in with the egg whites, and beat for several minutes.
- Beat the vanilla extract and then the egg white mixture into the bowl with the butter, sugar and egg yolks.
- In another bowl, mix together the salt, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and flour until combined.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, and stir until just combined. Stir in the regular chocolate chips.
- Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to measure out the dough onto a cookie sheet. Strategically place the Whoppers to accommodate 2 or 3 spiders.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the sides are lightly browned. Remove, and allow to “cook” more on the cookie sheet for about 4 to 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the 1/3 cup of chocolate in the microwave in bursts of 30 seconds until melted.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, put the melted chocolate into a frosting bag fitted with a #2 tip, and pipe “legs” onto the Whopper spiders.