My mom knows I sometimes eat meatless. I’m not one to ever fully give up eating meat, but I enjoy a few meatless meals now and again. She was cleaning her kitchen the other day and came across some old burger molds. You know the ones — they were popular in the ’80s and molded a perfect-looking hamburger.
Well, she thought they would be perfect for my vegetable burgers, and boy oh boy, was she right! Now I don’t have to worry about my burgers not staying together. Instead they look picture perfect and taste just as delicious.
And just so you know, black beans aren’t the only thing vegetarian burgers can be made out of. It’s time to give chickpeas and butternut squash some burger love.
Chickpea and butternut squash patties recipe
Adapted from She Likes Food
Not sure about Meatless Monday? This simple vegan burger is packed full of fresh vegetables, roasted squash, chickpeas, brown rice and lots of flavorful spices. Easy to make and delicious to eat. Your whole family will go crazy over this burger.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups diced roasted or boiled butternut squash
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Olive oil
- 6 toasted whole-wheat English muffins
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Vegenaise
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- Lemon zest
- To a food processor, add the chickpeas, squash, rice, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, corn, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and allspice. Process until thick and mostly smooth. You want the mixture to keep some of its chunk.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal-sized patties (or mold them in a handy burger mold), and let them rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to cook the patties, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Fry the patties in the oil until golden brown, flip, and cook the other sides until golden brown as well.
- Continue cooking until all the patties are cooked, adding more oil if needed.
- Place the patties on the toasted English muffins with cilantro.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Vegenaise, smoked paprika, Sriracha sauce and lemon zest. Slather the mixture on the top bun and top burger.