This healthy casserole topped with biscuits is an easy weeknight meal
Casseroles are always a go-to dinner for my family. They are perfect for me, since I can whip them up quickly and also sneak veggies inside for the picky eaters.
This casserole uses fresh broccoli, cooked brown rice and a homemade cheese sauce that really helps the dish stay creamy and rich. Notice I used Greek yogurt in place of sour cream in the sauce. Honestly, I very rarely use sour cream and almost always use plain Greek yogurt. It adds lots of creaminess without the added calories and gives this recipe an extra punch of protein.
Broccoli, cheddar and brown rice bake with biscuit crust recipe
This simple yet satisfying casserole is an easy go-to family meal for the busy workweek. Prepare this casserole ahead of time, and pop it into the oven before dinnertime rolls around.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 25 minutes | Inactive time: 5 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
For the cheese sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the casserole
- 1 small head broccoli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/2 buttermilk
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a saucepot over medium heat, add the shallots, onions and butter, and cook until the shallots and onions are soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, and stir until it absorbs all the butter. Add in the Greek yogurt (or sour cream), continuing to stir until the yogurt and flour are well incorporated.
- Finally, add the milk and shredded cheese, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir well, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the broccoli and cooked rice, and stir well. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the biscuit mix and buttermilk. Mix well until a stiff dough forms, and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Using a biscuit cutter, cut the desired size of biscuits from the dough.
- Top the casserole with the biscuits, and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the biscuits are nicely golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the casserole to stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired, then spoon the casserole into serving bowls or plates, and serve immediately.