Cherry pie french fries are a whole new way to enjoy dessert
It's officially pie season, my friends. And boy, have I been waiting for this for months. I love turkey, mashed potatoes and cookies, but pie? Pie has a very special place in my heart. That's why I'm always trying to find unique ways to enjoy my favorite dessert in a whole new way, like these cherry pie fries, for example.
That's right. These little sticks and tart, sweet dip taste exactly like your favorite cherry pie when put together. Now, you could use store-bought crust for the pies, but I highly recommend making your own. The result is a more buttery, more decadent dipping vessel for the sweet pie filling. I think these might be heaven.
Cherry pie french fries recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Cook time: 16 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 56 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4-1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- Dash sugar
- 1 cup pureed cherry pie filling (store-bought or, even better, make some yourself)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- To make the pie crust, whisk together the flour and salt. Add in the honey, and stir to combine. Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter until crumbly (the mixture should resemble coarse sand). Mix in the water 1 tablespoon at a time until a dough starts to form.
- Heavily flour a hard surface. Place the pie crust dough onto the surface, and knead with floured hands for just a minute or so or until the dough comes together. Push the dough into a disc, and cover with saran wrap or foil.
- Chill for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin. Cut the strips 1/2 inch in thickness, and then cut those into fry shapes.
- To make an egg wash, whisk together the egg and water. Place the fries on the parchment paper, and brush with the egg wash. Sprinkle with a dash of sugar.
- Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the fries onto a plate or into a basket. Top with cherry pie filling, whipped cream, mint and chopped almonds.