These copycat toaster strudels can be made in less than 30 minutes and are incredibly simple to make. Unlike most toaster strudel recipes, this one doesn’t require you to make homemade pastry. Go ahead, celebrate that fact a little bit. Oh yes, and did I mention the other fun twist? These are miniature.
My family loves toaster strudels, but they can get a little pricey when you’re buying a lot. When I’ve tried in the past to make my own puff pastry, the results have been a bit less than desirable. As a result, I came up with this delicious recipe. Not only is it incredibly easy and ready in under 30 minutes, but the flavors are incredible, making it the perfect comfort food breakfast.
To make these, start off by pouring 1 cup of apple pie filling into a blender. Pulse the mixture 6 to 8 times or until it is mostly pureed but still a bit chunky. Then transfer the filling to a small saucepan, and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. This helps to remove some of the extra liquid, which you will drain off after it has simmered.
Meanwhile, remove the puff pastries from the package. Separate them according to the ready-made perforations that come on the pastry.
This premade puff pastry is what makes these toaster strudels so easy — you don’t need to spend hours trying to perfect your own puff pastry. These are found in the frozen dessert section of the grocery store.
After you have separated them, cut each strip into 4 strips. If you don’t want miniature toaster strudels, then just cut them in half. Cover 1/2 the strips with softened cream cheese and the other 1/2 with a heaping tablespoon or 2 of the apple mixture.
Combine each cream cheese piece with an apple filling piece, and press the edges together. Press the tips of a fork along all 4 edges of both sides of the puff pastries to secure their attachment. Once they are securely attached, place them onto a baking sheet.
Make sure to leave plenty of space between the strudels, as they rise and spread a bit while baking. Allow them to bake for 15 to 18 minutes, and then remove them and allow them to cool slightly.
Once they are slightly cooled, spread frosting over the toaster strudels, and then lightly dust with cinnamon if desired. This is a comfort breakfast of champions.
Apple and cream cheese copycat toaster strudel recipe
These miniature apple and cream cheese copycat toaster strudels take less than 30 minutes to make and are so simple. If you want to make these ahead of time, you can because they reheat well. Just make sure to leave the ones you want to reheat later unfrosted. Don’t try to reheat these with frosting on them or in the toaster. They do best unfrosted in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 15-18 minutes | Total time: 25-28 minutes
- 1 package puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (not melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 1 cup of apple pie filling into a blender. Pulse the mixture 6 to 8 times or until it is mostly pureed but still a bit chunky. Then transfer the filling to a small saucepan, stir in the vanilla, and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. Drain off the liquid.
- Meanwhile, unfold the thawed puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Cut each section into 4 equal sections.
- Place about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture in the centers of half the dough pieces. Spread cream cheese on the other half of the dough pieces.
- Fold 1 side over to meet the other side, forming a square. Using a fork, crimp the edges to make sure they are well sealed.
- Place the strudels onto baking sheets, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the strudels are baking, beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. If needed, add a little bit of milk to get a thinner consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the slightly cooled apple toaster strudels. Sprinkle cinnamon over the frosting if desired.
- Enjoy while warm! Do not try to toast these later, but you can microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds to warm them up at another time.