Nothing says fall to me like hot chocolate, cuddling up with a book by the fireplace and warm, fuzzy socks. This hot chocolate is made in your slow cooker, which means practically no work for you. Everything gets dumped into the slow cooker, stirred occasionally, and then it’s ready to go.
This hot chocolate is perfect to make in advance for a party. You can even create a hot chocolate bar of sorts, with plenty of different toppings to put into your hot chocolate. I had some friends over and set up a small bar of toppings. They included homemade marshmallows (pictured), some crushed peppermint, crushed cookie crumbs, cinnamon sticks and pumpkin spice marshmallows.
Slow cooker hot chocolate is the best idea because of its ease, flavor and the amount it yields. Any party guest will go crazy over this creamy chocolate drink, especially with these fabulous fall flavor ideas.
There are also plenty of ways to customize this hot chocolate and change up the flavor. Use the base recipe below, and make yours even tastier with these additions:
- A few heaping spoonfuls of Nutella
- About 1/2 cup of pumpkin pie filling and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
- Half a jar of marshmallow fluff, skipping the marshmallows altogether
- A few heaping spoonfuls of Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread
- A few crushed candy canes and a few teaspoons of white chocolate extract
There are definitely other ways to flavor and change your hot chocolate based on the flavors you love — it’s time to get creative.
Slow cooker hot chocolate recipe
This hot chocolate is prepared in your slow cooker, leaving you with very little work to do and a great result when it’s done, but note that it does take a little advance planning, since it takes almost three hours to complete.
Yields 15 large mugs
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Marshmallows or whipped cream (optional)
- Spray your slow cooker generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the slow cooker, combine the unsweetened chocolate, milk chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well, and cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes, stirring the chocolate every 10 minutes to help it melt.
- Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Stir in the vanilla. Add the pinch of salt.
- Cover, and cook on high for another 2 hours.
- Stir it right before serving.