I love the combination of sweet and spicy foods. I also love cheese, especially baked Brie. Most times when I make a baked Brie recipe, I try to get creative with what I have on hand, never making the same thing twice. I had a jar of homemade pepper jam I usually make at the end of the summer, and decided this would be a fantastic topper to this warm, creamy cheese.
The combination of sweet and spicy flavors in the jam really pair well with the rich and creamy baked Brie. I served this with crusty bread, but you can also use crackers or even fresh vegetables if desired.
Red pepper jam baked Brie recipe
If you are a fan of spicy foods with a sweet and savory flavor, then this delicious appetizer idea is perfect for entertaining, snacking and holiday gatherings.
Yields 4 (1/2 pint) jars
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 4 pint-size Mason jars with lids, sterilized
- Strainer lined with cheesecloth
- 4-5 large sweet red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 hot red chili peppers, seeds removed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1-1/2 cups raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) round Brie cheese
- Fresh crusty bread, sliced (crackers or vegetables would also work well for serving)
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth, and set it aside.
- To a food processor, add the bell peppers and chili peppers. Pulse on high until the peppers are very finely chopped (almost liquefied).
- Heat a pot over medium heat, and add the pepper puree, chili flakes, apple cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly, and simmer for about 35 minutes.
- Pour the hot pepper mixture into the strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove seeds and pulp. Quickly pour the hot pepper liquid into each Mason jar, and place the lids on tightly.
- To assemble the Brie, unwrap the cheese, and place it into a small baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is very soft and begins to melt.
- Spoon the homemade pepper jam on top of the warm Brie, and serve with fresh bread, crackers or vegetables.
- Best served warm.