Sweet potato and cherry galette will show off your rustic baking skills
It’s usually one way or the other when it comes to making a galette: sweet or savory. Savory typically uses veggies, and sweet uses fruit. This recipe for rustic sweet potato and cherry galette combines both for a luscious treat you won’t want to pass up.
Sweet potatoes — the veggie in this recipe — are a favorite fall ingredient. Their inherent sweetness makes them the perfect choice to pair with cherries for a lovely dessert.
Rustic sweet potato and cherry galette
- 1 prepared pie dough crust
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking flour, divided
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1 cup pitted cherries (thawed if using frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
- 2-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon walnut pieces
- Fruity ice cream to serve on the side
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Add the sweet potato slices to a large bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add it to the sweet potatoes. Toss to combine.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for about 10 minutes. Reduce the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to reach room temperature, then toss them with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- Add the cherries to a bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Add a dash of orange juice to a small bowl, along with the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the remaining orange juice to a pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Mix to combine. Transfer the mixture to the cherries and toss to coat.
- Use 1/2 tablespoon of the flour to lightly dust a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place the pie dough on the parchment paper or baking mat and roll it out just slightly.
- Leave a 2-inch border of dough and lay the sweet potato pieces into a ring, overlapping them. Add the cherry mixture to the center of the dough, inside the ring.
- Lift the edge of the dough and fold it over the sweet potatoes (the dough shouldn’t cover the sweet potatoes completely), pleating it every 2 inches.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of cold butter, cut into small pieces. Use your fingers to combine the mixture and break up the butter slightly. Sprinkle this over the sweet potatoes and cherries.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle it with the sugar. Add the walnuts to the center of the cherry mixture.
- Transfer the parchment paper or baking mat to a baking sheet and bake the galette for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving with a side of ice fruit cream.