Popcorn chicken is one of those fast food indulgences that everyone just needs to give into every now and then. With this easy spicy version, you can make it at home just as easily as driving to your nearest KFC.
Thankfully, there’s no KFC near me or I fear how often I’d make a quick drive through to satisfy my popcorn chicken craving. It’s just one of those “oh so good but oh so bad for you” meals that you can’t resist.
With a little foresight to let the buttermilk and chicken do its thing, this spicy version of the classic is really simple to make at home and you can feel a little bit better about satisfying that craving the homemade way.
Spicy popcorn chicken recipe
For the chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into about 1 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3-4 tablespoons Sriracha, depending on heat preference
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha
- Whisk together buttermilk, Sriracha and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Add chicken pieces, toss to combine, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Combine the flour, bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, coat in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Fry chicken in 350 degree F oil in a large sauce pot until cooked through and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack to drain.
- Combine the yogurt and Sriracha in a small bowl and use as a dipping sauce for the popcorn chicken.