Mexican street corn gets an adorable mini makeover
I'm not lying when I say I could eat Mexican food every day of my life. I love it and make it every chance I get. When my husband and I visited Mexico a few years ago, I fell in love with elotes, also known to us in the States as street corn.
Think of freshly grilled corn on the cob coated in a tangy mayonnaise mixture and then sprinkled with lime, chili powder and Cotija cheese. It is seriously the best and only way to eat an ear of corn. I had some fresh ears of corn on hand, and not wanting boring corn on the cob, this idea for a bite-sized version of elotes was born. Rather than tossing these morsels into the traditional mayonnaise mixture, I created a creamy lime dip for them to be dunked into. Be warned, these are addictive!
Mexican street corn bites with creamy lime dip recipe
Street corn, also known as elotes in Mexico, is corn on the cob, usually grilled, slathered in a mayonnaise mixture and sprinkled with lime juice and cheese. This bite-sized version uses grilled corn kernels, flour and spices that are fried into bite-sized fritters and topped with tangy Cotija cheese. They're great for snacking or entertaining.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
For the creamy lime mayonnaise dip
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the corn fritters
- 5-6 fresh ears corn on the cob
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Small handful chopped cilantro
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the creamy lime dip.
- Mix well, and cover with plastic wrap. Chill the dip until ready to use and to allow the flavors to blend.
- Preheat your outdoor grill on medium-high heat.
- Grill the ears of corn for 8 to 10 minutes (turning halfway through grilling) until they are slightly charred.
- Allow the corn to cool, and then using a sharp knife, shuck the corn kernels off the cobs.
- Place the kernels into a large mixing bowl, and add the remaining ingredients for the fritters. Mix well.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, and add the vegetable oil.
- Drop universal-size spoonfuls of the fritter batter into the oil, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Do this step in batches, being careful to not overcrowd the pot.
- Drain the corn fritters on a plate lined with paper towels, and repeat until all the fritters have been prepared.
- Garnish the fritters with crumbled Cotija cheese, cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with the creamy lime mayonnaise dip.