Add Nutella to your morning muffins and everyone will thank you
My mornings consist of getting things in order for my blog and getting a toddler on her way to day care. I don't have time for pancakes, eggs or any elaborate breakfast. In all honesty, I'm lucky if I eat more than a piece of toast with fruit.
These Nutella apple muffins solve all my problems (and the apples make them healthy, right?). They are easy to put together the night before, so all you have to do is eat one on the run. You can even zap them in the microwave for a couple of seconds to warm the Nutella. These muffins are the perfect on-the-go breakfast.
Nutella apple muffins recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped and peeled Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Create a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Slowly add the eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla to the center. Use a large spoon to mix together the dry and wet ingredients. Stir until everything is well incorporated. Fold in the apples.
- Spray a cupcake tin with nonstick cooking spray, and pour the batter into the cups, filling them to 3/4 full. Top each cup of batter with 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of Nutella. Using a toothpick, swirl the Nutella and batter together.
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes. Let the muffins cool for 3 to 4 minutes, and then place them on a wire rack to cool completely.