Go gourmet with this vegetarian French onion soup and Gruyère grilled cheese
One of my favorite soups of all time is French onion soup. While I love it, my husband, who is a strict vegetarian, cannot enjoy it, since most versions call for beef broth. With a few simple tweaks, you can make this delicious onion soup completely vegetarian, and everyone can enjoy it.
I also decided we needed a little something extra to go with it and whipped up some Gruyère grilled cheese sandwiches using sourdough bread. This really hit the spot and is the perfect meal for cooler weather or whenever you want something warm and comforting.
Vegetarian French onion soup recipe
Serves 4- 6
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
- 6 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley and croutons, for garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add in the olive oil, butter and onions. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions start to soften, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover, and cook the onions for 45 minutes, stirring periodically until they are very soft and almost look caramelized.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the flour is completely blended into the onions. Add in the garlic, vegetable broth, wine and seasonings. Mix well, and cover.
- Simmer the soup for about 30 minutes, and then turn off the heat. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with parsley and croutons. Serve with sourdough Gruyère grilled cheese.
Gruyère grilled cheese sandwich recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread into the skillet (buttered side down), and divide the shredded Gruyère cheese onto the slices.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top (buttered side up), and grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Cut in half, and serve with vegetarian French onion soup.