Delicious ice cream gets rolled in toasted vanilla cornflakes and served with whipped cream for this healthier version of fried ice cream.
Have you ever tried fried ice cream? Yes it’s fried, and yes it’s delicious. Let’s be honest here; fried foods and ice cream aren’t exactly a healthy match when it comes to watching our waistlines. Here I took the concept of fried ice cream and un-fried it. I used all organic all-natural cornflakes I found at my local health food store, spiced and served these un-fried ice cream treats with a heaping dose of fat-free whipped cream and a little bit of chocolate syrup for a healthier spin.
Marionberry pie un-fried ice cream recipe
Yields 4 servings
- 2 cups marionberry pie ice cream
- 2-1/2 cups maple vanilla flavored cornflakes, plain cornflakes or any flavor you have on hand
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Chocolate syrup for topping (optional)
- Fat-free whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Maraschino cherries for topping (optional)
- Line a small baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup divide the marionberry pie ice cream into 4 (1/2 cup sized) servings.
- Roll the ice cream into balls and place on the baking sheet. Freeze for 2-3 hours or until very firm.
- In a food processor add the cornflakes and spices. Gently pulse to chop the cornflakes up but be careful not to over-process. You can also put the ingredients in a zip-close bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and roll the balls in the cornflake mixture, then place the ice cream balls back into the freezer until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove the ice cream balls from the freezer and place in serving bowls. Top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup and a cherry. Serve immediately.