You can make your vegan breakfast tacos taste like they’re full of scrambled eggs and cheese.
Even though I am not 100 percent vegetarian or vegan, I really enjoy eating plant-based recipes most of the time. But finding vegan substitutes for things like eggs can be a little tricky until you get a full grasp of the wonderful veggie-friendly ingredients you can get nowadays.
To re-create scrambled egg breakfast tacos, I used silken tofu rather than firm tofu in this dish, since it mimics eggs almost perfectly. The nutritional yeast is a cheesy, nutty, slightly sweet vegan ingredient full of B vitamins and is perfect for mocking that delicious cheese flavor. Looking at this dish, you really wouldn’t be able to tell this is actually tofu, and while it obviously has a different taste and a slightly different consistency, it’s perfect for those who miss eggs or for vegans who don’t.
Whip up these easy breakfast tacos for the morning or even for dinner.
Cheesy vegan breakfast taco recipe
For the tacos
- 6 whole-grain taco-size tortillas
- 1 pound silken tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet or red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (found at health food stores or online)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Fresh jalapeño peppers
- Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray, and warm the pan over medium heat.
- Drain the silken tofu, crumble it into the pan, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, cooking away as much moisture as possible.
- Add in the diced peppers and onions, and cook for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder and pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for several more minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Divide the tofu mixture among the tortillas, and top with green onions, jalapeños and your favorite salsa. Best served warm.