Ham, cheese and spinach waffles are even better than grilled cheese
Are you bored with eating the same sandwich over and over? Try these ham, cheese and spinach waffles for your next meal. They are a creative way to help get over your boring sandwich hump.
When I'm trying to come up with a quick idea for dinner, these waffle sandwiches are nice to put together in a hurry. Most households, including mine, have all the ingredients necessary for this sandwich waffle to work. They taste just like a grilled cheese sandwich loaded with your favorite meat and a little spinach so you don't feel so bad about indulging.
The best part is that the kids can help you mix the batter and cook the waffles. If you have leftovers, just place them in a ziplock bag and store in the refrigerator, and then toss them in the toaster to reheat.
Ham, cheese and spinach waffles recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups spinach
- 2/3 cup chopped deli sliced ham
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Slowly beat in the egg and milk. Pour the melted butter in a little at a time to help temper the batter.
- Stir in the cheese, spinach and ham.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the batter to the waffle iron, and cook until brown.