Mini pizza pot pies are a perfect lunch combo
These delicious pot pies have a fun twist — they are actually pizza flavored. So instead of your typical creamy chicken-and-vegetable mix, these pies are packed with pizza flavors galore.
To make these pizza pot pies, you will first need to start with some ramekins. If you want to make these for lunch, you will want to use silicone ramekins so they won't break inside a lunch box.
Spray the ramekins with nonstick cooking spray, and place them onto a tray. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the filling that goes inside these pot pies, you combine a few ingredients, and mix them up well. First is a vegetable of your choice or a vegetable your child likes on their pizza. For this tutorial and recipe, I used assorted bell peppers. My family loves bell peppers on our pizzas. Other options that would work are chunky tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, etc.
Next come the traditional pizza ingredients: mozzarella cheese (shredded) and pepperoni. Finally, add in some seasonings of your choice and some marinara sauce. I like Italian seasoning on my pizza, so that's what I added to these pizza pot pies. You can choose whatever seasonings and flavor of marinara you want or your child prefers.
Stir together all of these chopped or shredded ingredients, and then microwave the mixture for 5 minutes in 1-minute intervals. At each interval, make sure to stir the mixture well. Once the mixture has finished being microwaved, divide it equally among 4 ramekins, and pack it down.
Next, flatten 4 biscuits with your hands, and place 1 evenly on top of the mixture in each ramekin. If desired, brush the tops of the biscuits with a little bit of melted butter, and sprinkle on a little bit of Italian seasoning. Place the prepared and filled pot pies onto a baking tray.
Bake the pizza pot pies for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven using a hot pad. Transfer the ramekins into a heat-safe lunch box or right onto a dinner plate, and enjoy.
Pizza pot pie recipe
- 1/2 cup assorted bell peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) block mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 buttermilk biscuits (prepared dough, like Pillsbury)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Small handful Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 4 ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet.
- In a large, microwavable bowl, mix together the chopped bell peppers, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning and pepperoni. Microwave uncovered on high for 5 minutes, stirring after each minute, until the mixture is hot. Divide the mixture equally among the 4 ramekins.
- Flatten 4 biscuits with your hands, and place 1 on top of each ramekin.
- Melt the butter, and brush it over the biscuits. Sprinkle the biscuits with Italian seasoning and a bit of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the doughy top is completely cooked through.