14 Tools every home baker needs before you can think of joining Cupcake Wars (VIDEO)
We've all seen Martha Stewart at work, of course. She makes baking look like a breeze.
What you don't see is all the stuff you'll need to be as good a baker as she is. So we made you a list of all your absolute must-haves in the kitchen. You're welcome. Just don't forget us when you finally win Cupcake Wars.
- Differently shaped spatulas. One for spreading, one for scraping and smoothing and one for frosting.
- Two scoops. One to scoop cookie dough and another for ice cream, because we know you want to try this super-easy homemade ice cream recipe right now.
- A big and small whisk. Big whisks are better for batter, while a small whisk works well for ingredients like eggs.
- A rolling pin.
- The key to baking is measuring, so invest in measuring spoons.
- You'll also need measuring cups. (Those are the bigger ones.)
- Glass bowls to easily separate your dry and wet ingredients.
- A cookie sheet with a rim.
- A cookie sheet without a rim — because there is a difference. Fine, we'll explain: A rimless cookie sheet is best for cookies, because it makes it easier to slide the cookies onto a rack or parchment paper for cooling.
- Cooling racks (for sliding the aforementioned cookies onto).
- 9 x 9-inch pan.
- Two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, because no one wants a square cake.
- 9 x 11-inch pan.
- A mixer — either a handheld or a stand mixer is fine.