Chai for dessert! Try these blondies with chai cream cheese frosting
Chai isn't just for your teacup. I added it to blondies to give them a shot of flavor. Plus the extra chai frosting doesn't hurt either.
I have been obsessed with chai this year. I drink the tea by the gallons and will pretty much order anything off a menu that has the word "chai" attached to it. Yeah, I'm head-over-heels in love with the stuff. These little sweet blondies are packed full of chai flavor and topped with even more chai flavor. It's chai-on-chai happiness.
Chai blondies with chai cream cheese frosting recipe
Adapted from Heather Christo
Yield 20 bars
For the blondies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1-1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the blondies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add butter and dark brown sugar. Cream together until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla bean paste. Mix until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl add white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, kosher salt, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, cloves and white pepper. Whisk together.
- Slowly add flour to wet mixture and mix to combine.
- Stir in pistachios and ginger.
- Press into prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Cool completely and top with cream cheese frosting.
For the frosting
- Add all ingredients except heavy cream to an electric mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Slowly drizzle in heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread the frosting onto the blondies or dip cut blondies into the icing.