Quinoa has a bad reputation for being boring. Not so anymore. These cheese-and-spice-packed quinoa cakes are perfect for a main course or a tasty side dish.
At first I wasn’t sure how these little cakes were going to turn out. Would they taste too boring? Would the flavor not carry through by using quinoa? Well, I’m happy to report this recipe has made me a quinoa fan. They cooked up crunchy, full of flavor and perfect for dipping in the homemade smoked paprika lime yogurt dip. This is the perfect holiday appetizer.
Cheesy quinoa cakes recipe
Adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon
Yields about 25 patties
- 2 cups tricolor quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more may be needed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a large bowl mix together quinoa, cheese, egg, flour, cilantro, Sriracha, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Make the quinoa into little patties (about 2-3 inches large) and add to the hot oil. Fry until the underside is crispy, flip and cook until the other side is crispy.
- Remove from the pan and let cool on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Continue cooking patties until all the quinoa mixture has been used. If you run low on oil in your skillet add more as needed.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl add Greek yogurt, lime juice and smoked paprika.
- Serve quinoa cakes with Greek yogurt sauce.