This cake is all about the frosting. I had a hard time dragging myself away from the bowl because I wanted to eat it all before I iced the cake.
When my husband got home he looked at me and said, “what is that delicious-looking cake in the kitchen?” He ended up eating a giant slice and and I ended up scraping off a big bite of the frosting. What can I say, I’m a sucker for cookie dough. This cake is a total indulgence and totally worth it. I mean, it’s dark chocolate cake topped with a homemade cookie dough frosting.
Cookie dough frosted chocolate cake recipe
Adapted from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
Yield 1 cake and 2 cups frosting
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) chocolate pudding mix
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coffee, room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray two 9-inch round cake tins or two 9 x 9-inch square dishes with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add all ingredients and mix for 2 minutes until completely combined.
- Divide equally between prepared dishes and bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Once cooked let cool and then remove from the baking tin.
- Put half the frosting on top of one cake, top with other cake and then smooth remaining frosting on the top cake.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add brown sugar and butter. Mix until creamed and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla bean paste.
- Add in flour and mix to combine. The mixture will look a little crumbly.
- Slowly pour in the milk while the mixer is running on medium low speed.
- Mix until fully combined and fluffy. Fold in chocolate chips.
- If the frosting is too thick simply add a little more milk.