Sneak in the veggies with this kale and chicken white lasagna
We rarely ate lasagna growing up. My dad wasn't a huge fan of Italian food and my mom would always mumble something about how lasagna was too expensive to make. I get it.
It takes a lot of steps and the ingredient cost could add up. However, this simple kale chicken white lasagna with béchamel sauce takes only a few ingredients and can be a great way to use up leftovers.
Kale chicken white lasagna recipe
Adapted from Allrecipes
Yields 9 x 13-inch dish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 11 ounces baby kale
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded chicken, leftovers picked from a rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the baby kale. Sauté until just softened and place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In the bowl with the sautéed baby kale add ricotta cheese and shredded chicken. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In the same skillet you used to cook your baby kale add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the onions and sauté just until soft. Add in garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk into the butter. The mixture will be a bit dry; this is normal.
- Slowly pour in the milk mixture while whisking.
- Continue whisking and bring to a slight boil. The sauce will start to thicken, and when it reaches the consistency of a thick gravy remove from the heat and whisk in 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Ladle a little of the sauce onto the bottom of your prepared pan and top with 3 noodles and 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Add two more layers — 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 sauce and 1/3 ricotta mixture. On the top layer add 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining sauce and 2 cups shredded cheese.
- Spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and cover your lasagna.
- Bake for 35 minutes covered and 25 minutes uncovered.