Looking for a comforting soup to send to school with your kid? Try this easy yet satisfying tomato-basil soup with grilled cheese croutons.
I’m pretty sure I would have been the luckiest kid in school if I had this soup for lunch. It’s packed with flavor, and it has grilled cheese as croutons. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get much better than that. You can pour the soup into a thermos to keep it warm, and toss in the croutons when ready to eat.
Disclaimer: Your kids will love you even more if you send them to school with this soup.
Tomato-basil soup with grilled cheese croutons recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 American cheese slices
- Butter, for spread
- To a large stockpot, add the first 8 ingredients. Cover the pot, and cook for 20 minutes on low-medium heat. Remove, and use an immersion blender or a regular blender to process the soup. (If using a regular blender, then add the soup back to the pot after blending.)
- Cover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes on low heat.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Place 1 slice of cheese between 2 slices of bread, and then butter the outsides of the bread. Place in the skillet, and allow to brown before flipping. Repeat with the other sandwich. Cut the grilled cheese into tiny square pieces.
- Using a large ladle, place 3 to 4 large helpings of the soup into a bowl, and then top with the grilled cheese croutons.
Note: If you are sending this soup to school with your kid, then pour the soup into a thermos to keep it warm, and place the croutons into a zip-lock bag.