Savory green chile cheddar cornbread waffles are the breakfast for dinner you'll be making tonight
Lose the maple syrup and whipped cream, because the waffle just got a savory makeover.
Cornbread batter is used as the base in this waffle recipe and is combined with tangy, sharp cheddar cheese and spicy green Hatch chile peppers. Nobody will miss the Mrs. Butterworth's, I promise.
This totally nontraditional version of our most-loved morning meal can be served with eggs, salsa, vegetables, your favorite grilled meats or piled high with your favorite taco toppings.
Savory green chile cheddar cornbread waffles recipe
- 2 (8-1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green Hatch chile peppers
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the waffle iron as directed on the machine.
- To a large bowl, add the corn muffin mix, buttermilk and eggs. Using a wire whisk or hand mixer, mix well, until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Fold the cheddar cheese, chile peppers, onions and seasonings into the batter.
- Using a spoon or a small measuring cup, add some batter to your waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are a golden-brown color. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Place the waffles onto a serving platter, and serve with eggs for brunch or with your favorite taco toppings — such as taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes and avocado — for dinner.