Who says the hasselback approach has to be limited to potatoes? Chicken works beautifully with this method and can be stuffed with practically anything.
Hasselback potatoes were all the rage a couple of years ago. You know… make slices all along a potato, stuff it with cheese, and then bake. The outcome is a potato perfectly crispy outside and creamy inside.
Applying that technique to chicken results in a cheesy stuffed dinner you’ll love just as much as those decadent potatoes. This version is packed with nutritious spinach and topped with gooey sharp cheddar cheese.
Spinach and cheddar hasselback chicken recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the spinach, and let it cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until wilted. Remove from heat, and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the chicken breasts 3/4 of the way through across the entire breast, and place them into a baking dish.
- Stuff each slit with the wilted spinach and then a slice of cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.