No need to run to the mall to pick up a soft pretzel. With a few simple ingredients these pretzel bites are ready in no time.
Soft and chewy homemade pretzel bites recipe
Yield 12 servings
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons raw organic honey — can also substitute brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (not hot)
- 4-1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, olive oil or canola oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Coarse sea salt for topping
- 4 quarts of water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- In a large bowl add the yeast, warm water, honey and butter. Mix well and let stand 5-10 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- To the mixture add the salt and begin adding flour 1 cup at a time mixing very well. If using a stand mixer start on low and increase the speed to medium until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and is very sticky. If the dough is too sticky to handle add 1-2 tablespoons of flour and continue to mix until it can be handled.
- Coat a large glass bowl with 1 tablespoon of the oil and place the dough in the center. Cover with a dish towel and allow to rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, oil 2 large baking sheets with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and bring the 4 quarts of water and 1/2 cup baking soda to a boil.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and punch down. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls and roll out into ropes. Cut each rope into desired number of pieces and set aside.
- Begin adding the pretzel bites to the pot of boiling water and boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the oiled baking sheets. Repeat with remaining bites.
- Sprinkle all of the bites generously with sea salt and bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with your favorite honey mustard or cheese dip.