This orange chicken dish is lower in calories and will still satisfy your Asian food cravings, so skip the takeout, and make it at home.
When you make orange chicken from scratch, you don’t have to worry about what ingredients are going in and whether or not it’s healthy. And with cauliflower rice, it’s even better.
Healthy Chinese orange chicken with cauliflower rice recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Chinese ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken stock, orange juice, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Whisk well, and reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture. Toss in the chicken, and coat it well.
- To a shallow dish, add the flour, and dredge the chicken through it, coating all sides. Place the chicken onto a baking sheet lined with nonstick foil. Bake for 18 minutes, and then broil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the cauliflower florets into a food processor. Blend until you get little rice pieces. Add the cauliflower rice to a large sauté pan, and warm it up. Remove, and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the sauté pan, and pour the remaining orange sauce over the chicken along with cornstarch. Stir, and then place the chicken over the cauliflower rice.