Fried zucchini sandwiches with garlic yogurt are a tasty after school snack
Summer has come and gone, and now there are far too many cheap zucchini in the store to pass up. Why not buy a bunch, slice them up, coat them in breadcrumbs and fry them up to delicious, crispy perfection?
With some garlic yogurt sauce sandwiched between two crispy, fried zucchini slices, you've got the perfect after school snack or pre-dinner appetizer.
Fried zucchini sandwiches with garlic yogurt recipe
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for pan-frying
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in another. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with a splash of water.
- Dip the zucchini slices first into the flour, then into the egg mixture, and then coat them in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the zucchini slices into the skillet, and pan-fry on each side for about 2 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Transfer the zucchini to a paper towel-lined cooling rack.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, and mix them together.
- Spoon the yogurt sauce on top of 1 zucchini slice, and then top with another before serving.