Fresh nectarine pie for a twist on a southern classic
Fresh nectarines, brown sugar and spices are mixed and stuffed into a flaky pie crust and baked up rich and sweet. Top this summery dessert with a big spoonful of creamy vanilla ice cream.
Maybe it’s because of my Southern roots, but one of my all-time favorite pie flavors is peach. I decided to put a little twist my all-time favorite and swap out the peaches for juicy nectarines. I topped off warm slices of this easy homemade pie with creamy vanilla bean ice cream.
Fresh nectarine pie a la mode recipe
Yields 8 servings
- 2 (9 inch) store-bought or homemade pie crusts
- 5 cups fresh nectarines, sliced or chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Vanilla bean ice cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll out the pie crusts, placing one in the bottom of the pie plate.
- In a bowl, add the nectarines, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and diced butter, mixing well.
- Pour the fruit mixture into the pie plate and cover with the remaining pie crust.
- Crimp the edges with a fork or in another desired decorative way as long as the two pieces of dough are sealed at the edges.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the pie is a golden brown color.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.