Mmm… the calzone. Folded-up pizza filled with gooey cheese. Yes, please.
I love pizzas with all my favorite ingredients showing on top and hot, melted mozzarella stretching long with every bite. Yum! But I also love my pizzas folded into half-moons, with all the ingredients stuffed inside, hidden from my view. One bite says it all. That’s a calzone for me.
Kale and spinach, as we all know, are very healthy. With this calzone, I am sure you will love these two leafy vegetables more, because they are sautéed together with tasty anchovies and garlic, and then mixed with little cubes of mozzarella. I don’t think I need to write any more, because I think I should leave you to go make this recipe.
Cheesy calzone with kale and spinach recipe
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 chilies, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 6 ounces kale, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (8.8 ounce) mozzarella ball, diced
- 1 store-bought round pizza dough
- 1 egg, lightly whisked for egg wash (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 395 degrees F.
- In a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat, sauté the garlic, chilies (if using) and anchovies for about 3 minutes.
- When the anchovies have melted, add the kale and spinach. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the water. Cook for another 20 minutes or until the water evaporates.
- Season with salt (if still needed, since the anchovies are already salty) and pepper. Set aside when it’s cooked.
- On a baking pan lined with parchment paper, spread out the pizza dough.
- On one side of the dough, distribute the kale-spinach mixture and the mozzarella.
- Fold the other part of the dough over the stuffing to form a half circle. Seal the sides by pressing them with the tines of a fork.
- Brush the calzone with the egg wash or olive oil.
- Bake the calzone for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve while hot.