The burrito-enchilada. It's the Mexican meal to end all meals. Go make it.
It's time you had your own personal pan burrito-enchilada stuffed with lots of juicy, slow-cooked beef swimming in a sea of cheese and spicy sauce. Does that sound good or what?
No need to share, because the entire pan is all for you. Just dig in and eat it all yourself. These bundles of yum are filled to the brim with tender and juicy slow-cooked beef that melts in your mouth. I like to make these burritos ahead of time so that all I have to do is add the enchilada sauce and cheese and then pop them into the oven.
Slow cooker shredded beef burrito-enchilada recipe
For the shredded beef
- 2 pounds beef shoulder blade roast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pasilla ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican dried oregano
- 1/4 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- Shredded beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
For the shredded beef
- Add all the ingredients except for the meat to a slow cooker.
- Stir together, and then add the beef.
- Turn the slow cooker setting on low to cook for 4 hours.
- After the beef is done, transfer it to a large casserole dish.
- Using 2 forks, pull apart the beef, and add the salt and pepper. Ladle in some of the juice from the slow cooker.
- Set aside for a moment.
For the enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a large ladle of enchilada sauce to each single-serving ovenproof pan or dish. Set aside for a moment.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans on top of each tortilla.
- Top with shredded beef and onions.
- Roll each tortilla over the ingredients to form a burrito-enchilada.
- Set the burrito-enchiladas in the single-serving pans or dishes, right on top of the enchilada sauce.
- Ladle the remaining enchilada sauce on top.
- Top with cheese and any remaining onions.
- Bake until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot right out of the oven, and top with cilantro.