The snack cake recipe hack that will change the way you eat Twinkies forever
Everyone knows and loves the standard vanilla Twinkies snack cakes, but this chocolate-butterscotch version is so much better.
These twinkies are anything but boring. They've got caramel frosting inside and a butterscotch ganache with plenty of sprinkles and M&M's on top.
Start by preparing the chocolate cake mix. I used a premade cake mix, but you can always use your favorite chocolate cake recipe if desired.
Grease a twinkie pan really well. I found my twinkie pan at a local kitchen store, but they can also be found online with a simple Google search. This pan is a great addition to your kitchen and something you can use all the time when whipping up some fun treats for friends, neighbors or family.
Once the pan is well greased, use a cookie scoop to pour the batter into the pan. Fill up the cavities about 3/4 of the way so the batter doesn't overflow and the cakes don't have a weird shape.
The picture above to the left should help you see how full to fill the pan for optimal chocolate twinkies. These bake for about 13 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
Once the twinkies are baked, remove them from the oven, and allow them to cool off for about 5 minutes. Then flip the pan upside down, and they should all come right out.
Transfer the still-warm twinkies to a cooling rack, and allow them to completely cool. While they are cooling, you can make the frosting that fills up these twinkies. The frosting is made with just 5 ingredients and comes together quickly.
Once you have the frosting, fit a frosting bag with a wide tip, and fill the bag with the frosting. Then poke the tip of the frosting bag into the bottom of each cake, and squeeze down the frosting. The frosting fills up the inside and doesn't seep out as long as you don't poke it in too deeply.
Repeat this step 3 times for each cake to ensure the insides are completely filled with frosting.
While you wait for the cakes to harden a bit, make the butterscotch ganache, which is just butterscotch baking chips, butter and heavy cream. Place all the butterscotch chips into a bowl, and then pour heated cream and butter over them. Stir until smooth and the chips have melted.
Then pour the ganache over the cakes, top with some sprinkles and candies, and they are ready to be devoured.
Chocolate-caramel twinkies with butterscotch ganache recipe
- 1 chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients called for
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butterscotch baking chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Sprinkles and M&M's candies, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a twinkie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix according to the package directions. Fill up the cavities in the twinkie pan 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 13 to 14 minutes.
- Remove the twinkies from the oven, allow them to cool for 5 minutes, and then flip the pan upside down to expel the twinkies.
- Allow the twinkies to completely cool.
- While the twinkies are cooling, melt the butter in a saucepan, and stir in the brown sugar. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Add the milk, and continue stirring until it boils. Remove from heat, and allow to cool to lukewarm temperature.
- Into a small bowl, pour the mixture, and add the sugar and vanilla while beating on medium speed. Then beat on low speed for 1 minute. Fit a frosting bag with a wide tip, and fill it with the caramel frosting.
- With the tip of the frosting bag, poke 3 small holes into the undersides of the twinkies, and press the frosting into the cakes. Flip the twinkies over, and allow them to set.
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch ganache. Into a small mixing bowl, place the butterscotch chips and butter.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it comes to a boil. Pour the cream over the chips, and let them sit for 3 minutes. Whisk until smooth, and then let the ganache cool to thicken as desired. Pour it over the twinkies.
- Top the ganache with some sprinkles and M&M's candies if desired.