Shark Week is here, and this fun ocean pie is the perfect way to get into a beachy mood. You never know what’s lurking beneath the surface, do you?
Having a whole week dedicated to learning about and increasing respect for sharks is a great idea, although I am, in all honesty, scared of sharks. I do think they are fascinating, though. In honor of Shark Week, this pie is blue like the ocean and has its own beach, with fish swimming through the water. Just watch out — you never know when a shark might appear.
This pie starts out with some blue Jell-O that has been dissolved in boiling water. After that, you stir it in with whipped topping until completely combined.
Once the mixture is combined, transfer it into a premade or store-bought graham cracker crust. The mixture needs a good 8 hours to set, so it’s best to do this the night before you want the pie ready.
Once the pie is all set up, it’s ready to be decorated.
Start out by putting golden sandwich cookies into a blender or food processor, and pulse until fine crumbs are created. These crumbs will make up the sandy beach on the pie. You don’t need to remove the cream from the cookies to create the crumbs.
After you have the “sand” crumbs, spread them over 1/2 the pie. Create a jagged ridge like a beach has. Fill in the beach section with all the crumbs.
Next, it’s time to create people on the beach. The “people” are M&M’s candies, and they are shaded by little drink umbrellas. You can find these miniature umbrellas at most party stores or online.
After the beach is finished, it’s time to jazz up the water a bit. Combine frosting with blue food coloring, then fit a frosting bag with a #3 tip, and fill it with the blue frosting. Pipe waves into the ocean.
Finally, it’s time to place the fish (or sharks if you have them) into the water. Place the candy fish on the pie, either inserting them into or placing them on top of the frosting.
Now it’s time to celebrate Shark Week — grab a slice of this pie, and you’re good to go.
Ocean-themed Jell-O pie recipe
- 1 premade graham cracker crust
- 1 (3 ounce) package Berry Blue Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) tub Cool Whip topping, completely thawed
- 8 golden sandwich cookies
- M&M’s candies
- 3-4 drink umbrellas or parasol picks
- 1/4 cup plain frosting
- 2-3 drops blue food coloring
- Candy fish or sharks
- Remove the plastic packaging from the graham cracker crust, and set the crust aside.
- Combine the Jell-O and boiling water, and stir until completely dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool completely, and then gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Once it’s pretty much combined, you can beat together the ingredients. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust, and place the pie in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Once the pie has set, you can decorate it.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the golden sandwich cookies into crumbs. Decorate 1/2 the pie with the crumbs to look like sand on a beach.
- Place the M&M’s in small groups to look like people congregating on the beach, and then set up the umbrellas near the “people.”
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting and blue food coloring. Stir until the frosting is blue, and then fill a frosting bag fitted with a #3 tip.
- Pipe the frosting onto the “ocean” to make waves.
- Place the fish or shark candies in the water section, either inserting them into the pie or on top of the waves.
- Cut into large slices, and enjoy.