Don’t spend tons of money on raw, vegan crackers when you can easily make them right in your own kitchen.
With a few simple ingredients, a food dehydrator and a food processor, you can easily make inexpensive versions of flackers — raw, vegan crackers made from flaxseeds, raisins and spices.
Serve up these crispy, crunchy crackers with a homemade cheese dip made from cashews. Soaking raw cashews overnight helps in digesting them and makes the cashews soft so they can be whipped into a smooth and creamy base for dips, sauces and many other recipes.
Look in the bulk bin sections of your health food store for flaxseeds and raw cashews to save money.
1. Homemade flaxseed crackers recipe
- 1 cup flaxseeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- To a large bowl, add the flaxseeds and water, and mix well.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, and allow the flaxseed mixture to sit for about 30 minutes to thicken. (The mixture will become very thick and goopy, which is what you are aiming for.)
- Once the mixture is thick, pour it out onto a flex sheet (which is made for these types of recipes for the food dehydrator), and spread it out evenly over the tray. You might end up with more than one tray, depending on the desired thickness of the crackers you want.
- Set the proper temperature for your food dehydrator, and dehydrate the flackers for about 6 hours or until very dry and crispy.
- Store the flackers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
2. Easy raw, vegan cashew cheese dip recipe
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 whole red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 -1/2 cup nutritional yeast, depending on the level of cheesy flavor you desire
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To a large bowl, add the raw cashews, cover with water, and soak the nuts for 6 to 12 hours.
- Drain the water from the cashews, and add them to a food processor. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend on high.
- Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl, and keep blending until the mixture is very smooth and creamy and there are no chunks.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and chill it for several hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve with homemade flackers when ready to enjoy.