Spaghetti and meatballs get a makeover in this so-good comfort food casserole
Spaghetti and meatball casserole sounds pretty amazing on its own, right? Just wait until it's topped with dollops of creamy ricotta.
I get excited about casseroles — an entire meal all in one pretty baking dish, limited pots and pans to clean up and easy serving. It also helps that they're usually decadently delicious, and this one is no exception.
Imagine combining mac and cheese with your traditional spaghetti and meatballs recipe. It's pretty much comfort food perfection. Everyone will love this one, and you'll love how easy it was to throw together.
Penne meatball casserole recipe
- 1 pound frozen mini meatballs, thawed
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Basil, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta, and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the meatballs and marinara sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss together, and then transfer to a baking dish.
- Top with dollops of ricotta, cover with tin foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, and return the casserole uncovered to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, garnish with basil, and serve.