Meatless Monday: Super-fresh basil-lime grilled tempeh-and-tomato skewers
Grilling season isn't over yet. Get this flavorful marinade together for veggies and tempeh, skewer them, and get your grill going.
I'm working the grill as long as I can this season, and that means I'll be making this Meatless Monday recipe for basil-lime grilled tempeh-and-tomato skewers a few more times. Once you give these a try, you'll likely do the same. The basil-lime marinade is so flavorful (and easy to make), and the tomatoes, onion and tempeh soak it up nicely.
Tempeh is a terrific meatless option for grilling. It stands up nicely on the grill, and when you see those gorgeous grill marks, well, you'll be clamoring for a plateful.
Basil-lime grilled tempeh-and-tomato skewers recipe
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 basil leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 2- to 3-inch triangles
- 12 ounces heirloom (or regular) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
- 6 wooden grilling skewers, soaked for at least 1 hour
- To a bowl, add the lime juice, orange juice, garlic, salt, black pepper, onion powder, red pepper flakes, honey and olive oil. Whisk to combine, and then add in the basil.
- To a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of the mixture, and set it aside. Divide the remaining mixture in half, and add 1 portion to a large, zippered baggie along with the tempeh. Then add the second portion to another zippered baggie with the tomatoes and onions.
- Seal the bags, and gently massage the liquid into the tempeh and the vegetables. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, turning the baggies occasionally.
- Remove the tempeh and the vegetables from the baggies (discard the liquid), and thread them, alternating, onto the skewers. Add 1 lime wedge to the bottom of each skewer, and another to the top.
- Grill the skewers over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes total, turning a few times. Toward the end of grilling, brush the reserved liquid over both sides of the tempeh and vegetables.
- Remove from the heat, and serve immediately with extra basil as garnish.
Get on the stick and make this Meatless Monday dish today.