Homemade vegan mozzarella cheese is way easier than you think
With a few simple ingredients from your local health food store, you can make your very own fresh vegan mozzarella cheese right in your kitchen.
Are you limiting your dairy intake or just miss cheese since going vegan? This super-easy recipe for making your very own buffalo-style mozzarella cheese balls at home couldn't be simpler. Most of these ingredients can be found at your local health food store. If don't live in an area that has a health food store, then look for online stores that most certainly will carry these ingredients.
Vegan buffalo-style mozzarella cheese recipe
Serves 6 (may vary due to size of the cheese balls you make)
Adapted from Veggie Wedgie
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons agar powder
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1-1/2 cups plain soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (or substitute with xanthan gum)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw organic coconut oil, melted
- Large bowl ice-cold water
- To a pot, add the water and agar powder, and bring to a boil. Stir the mixture until the agar powder is completely dissolved, and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the tapioca starch to the hot liquid, and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or a food processor, and add in the soy yogurt, pectin, guar gum and salt. Blend on high until very smooth.
- With the blender or food processor still running, drizzle in the coconut oil, and blend until everything looks to be well incorporated.
- To make the mozzarella balls, use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the mixture, and drop the balls into the ice-cold water. The cheese will become solid almost instantly, but allow it to remain in the water for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture until you have made all your mozzarella.
- Using a slotted spoon or other utensil, transfer the cheese balls to a container large enough so that the cheese balls are not crowded or piled on top of one another. Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Tip: Try this amazing vegan cheese in fresh salads, on sandwiches or on pizza.