Casseroles never went out of style. You’ll make this vegetarian version again and again.
Not only are sweet potatoes super-healthy, but they’re super-yummy. I love baked sweet potatoes but wanted to create something more comforting, rich and filling. I turned this recipe into a vegetarian dinner by adding crumbled veggie sausage, kale and sweet onions to diced sweet potatoes and then baking it up in a cheese sauce. This makes a great hearty dinner and is excellent for leftovers.
Baked sweet potato and veggie sausage casserole with kale recipe
Inspired by Pinch of Yum
For the casserole:
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fresh sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 cups kale, very finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled vegetarian sausage (you can also use real sausage)
For the sauce:
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup plain almond, soy or low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup almond or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Crushed red pepper and fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, and add in the olive oil.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onions, corn, kale and veggie sausage, and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, add the vegetable broth and the almond, soy or low-fat milk, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the flour, and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens. Once the sauce is smooth and creamy, add in the seasonings, and stir in the cheese. Spoon the sauce on top of the potato mixture, and mix well.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the casserole dish, and top with mozzarella. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.