Horchata is great on its own but, believe me, it gets even better when it’s in smoothie form.
A traditional Latin drink made with rice, almonds and other grains, homemade horchata is one of the most sweet and simple drinks to throw together. It gets even better when you make it into a smoothie. My husband went nuts for this drink and, since it contains yogurt, I like to think it’s even good enough for breakfast.
1. Horchata smoothie recipe
- 1/2 cup horchata (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups ice
- Whipped cream
- To a blender, add all the ingredients, and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick, then simply add a little more horchata to thin it out.
- Top with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
2. Homemade horchata recipe
Yields 6 cups
- 1-1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3-2/3 cup superfine sugar (depending on desired sweetness level)
- To a blender, add the rice and water. Blend just until the rice starts to break up.
- Let the rice and water sit overnight in the fridge.
- Strain the rice mixture over a cheesecloth into a pitcher. Throw away the rice.
- To the pitcher, add the milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and desired amount of sugar.
- Chill, and serve cold.