Easy baked mozzarella sticks
Mozzarella sticks are coated in seasonings and a light breading, and then baked until golden brown. Serve up these crispy, crunchy bites with tangy marinara sauce.
Normally mozzarella cheese sticks are heavily coated in bread crumbs and deep fried. While they are delicious, they aren't the healthiest option. So lose the deep-fried version and make this super-simple baked version at home. Cheese sticks are lightly coated in an egg white mixture, rolled in a mixture of seasonings and given a light coating of bread crumbs. Rather than fry your sticks, bake them on a baking sheet in the oven. Make sure to have plenty of marinara sauce for dipping these yummy sticks into.
Easy baked mozzarella sticks recipe
- 12 fresh mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg whites until thick and frothy.
- In a separate shallow bowl, add the seasonings and the bread crumbs, mixing well.
- Dip each cheese stick into the egg mixture and then coat it in the bread-crumb mixture. Repeat until all of the cheese sticks are breaded.
- Place the breaded cheese sticks on the baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese sticks are melting.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly so the cheese can firm up.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with marinara sauce.